Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. For more information, read my full affiliate disclosure here.
If you are looking for a way to contain your large dog and are interested in learning more about GPS dog fence technology – how it works and why some claim it is even better than traditional wireless dog fences – then you are in the right place!
In the video below, I interview the Chief Technologist and INVENTOR of GPS fence technology himself, Sung Vivathana, the Vice President of Engineering at SpotOn GPS Fence.
Sung has 20 years of experience in the design of mission-critical electro-optical systems for defense, telecommunications, and consumer electronics.
He led the invention, development, and launch of SpotOn GPS Fence and holds 6 patents covering GPS-based pet containment and tracking.
Sung has a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from Widener University, an MBA from the University of New Hampshire, and EE graduate coursework at Purdue University.
In our fascinating hour-long interview, I asked Sung the most frequently asked questions I have received about GPS dog fence technology to learn what truly sets SpotOn GPS Fence apart from other pet containment options on the market.
While I absolutely believe you need to watch the entire interview, I certainly understand the delicate balance of limited time. For that reason, I am providing the list of questions I asked below and have them as time stamps, or chapters, in the video for your convenience.
And if you haven’t done so already, I encourage you to read the short story about how SpotOn GPS Fence got started and the mission behind this small, but mighty USA-based pet tech company.
** SpotOn kindly sent Junior and Sulley their new Gen 2 SpotOn GPS Fence dog collars to test out and share our experience with the big dog community. Like all sponsored content on Big Dog Mom, however, all of the information I am sharing is based on our experience and my opinions – the good and the bad.
GPS Dog Fence Questions
1. Describe your role and scope of work at SpotOn GPS Fence.
2. What is a GPS fence?
3. How is a GPS fence different from other wireless dog fences?
4. What makes the SpotOn dog collar antenna so unique? What is Dual-Feed and True Location™ Technology and how do they work?
5. How does SpotOn GPS Fence tracking work with the optional cellular subscription?
6. How do you set up a sound notification for GPS tracking using the SpotOn GPS Fence App?
7. How do you build a SpotOn GPS Fence?
8. How are multiple fences built and managed with the SpotOn GPS Fence app?
9. Explain how multiple fences can be activated and deactivated individually and what makes SpotOn unique when it comes to managing multiple fences.
10. How do you maintain a SpotOn GPS Fence?
11. Describe a dog’s experience wearing a SpotOn GPS Fence dog collar?
12. Share the two NEW features of SpotOn currently in beta.
13. What is the difference between Forest Mode and Home Zone?
14. When will Keep Out Zone and Home Zone be available broadly?
15. Tell us about SpotOn, the company.
16. What is the price of SpotOn GPS Fence?
VIDEO: SpotOn GPS Dog Fence Interview with Inventor | Is a SpotOn Fence Right for You? | Top FAQs Answered
The latest on Youtube:
Is a GPS Dog Fence For You and Your Large Dog?
After watching this information-packed interview, what additional questions do you have about GPS dog fences, or wireless dog fences more generally? Have you considered purchasing a SpotOn GPS Fence for your dog?
Are you looking for a wireless or virtual solution for pet containment on your property? What are your biggest issues or concerns about containing your large dog? Share in the comments below.
As Sung so eloquently stated during our interview, SpotOn not only invented GPS dog fence technology but has continued to improve upon it. Their mission is, through superior technology, to provide our dogs, as integral members of our family, maximum freedom with the safety and security of consistent and reliable boundaries 100% of the time.
Additional Resources About Pet Containment
If you would like to read and see more of our humorous journey with containing our Mastiffs, Junior and Sulley, on a large property check out the following resources:
- No More Roaming Rover! Revolutionary Wireless Fence for Large Dogs
- Life Unleashed: 10 Cutting-Edge Features of SpotOn GPS Dog Fence
- VIDEO: Will SpotOn GPS Dog Fence Work for Large Dogs? | Unboxing & Wireless Fence Setup [INITIAL REACTION]
- VIDEO: 10 Ground-Breaking Features of SpotOn GPS Fence | Wireless Fence for Dogs | EASY Boundary Training
- VIDEO: A Day In the Life of Big Dog Mom | My Daily Routine With 2 English Mastiffs | DITL VLOG | April 2022